2D Animation Director
Lead Animator and Motion Graphics Artist with six years of experience managing production teams, delivering over 300 videos.
Senior Animator and Story Supervisor
Splainers, Inc, Seattle, WA
2014 – Present
Collaboration and Management:
- Managed production of 2D animated videos, working alone, or with small (2-5 person) teams of artists and animators, delivering over 300 videos within prescribed deadlines and budgets.
- Communicated the Creative Director’s high-level vision to the production team in practical, hands-on language, eliminating what was previously 2 iteration cycles per project.
- Collaborated within the production team to maintain an efficient and positive work environment, reducing company overtime by 90 percent.
- Engaged in the ongoing review of office organization and production policy during the company’s growth from 4 people to 16.
- Led production team to maintain and improve production systems appropriate for the level of animation and timelines. Average animation production time has reduced from 1 week per minute to 3 days per minute.
- Maintained the office's internal website, used for onboarding and itemizing office standards and methods.
Art, Storytelling and Production:
- Designed character sets and other assets used in over 100 animations, including over 20 2D character rigs.
- Developed style sheets and systems for other artists to follow in creating additional assets.
- Explored different methods for visually telling stories, including 50+ motion graphics videos, 50+ draw-along videos and combining live action and/or photography with animation.
- Maintained clients’ brand guidelines and asset sets.
- Produced hundreds of storyboards and animatics for both client communication and internal use.
- Designed dozens of standalone static graphics for supplemental material related to animations.
- Ensured a transparent production process and clear delivery schedule, to achieve client satisfaction with 90% success in repeat business.
- Attended industry conferences to explain and sell services to prospective companies and industries, accounting for 10-15% of new business in a given year.
- Prepared presentations for prospective clients, with a 40% success rate in converting sales.
We Hereby Refuse Graphic Novel
Wing Luke Museum, Seattle, WA
2017 - 2021
- Illustrated 3 of 4 stories of a 150-page non-fiction graphic novel about the Japanese American resistance to incarceration during World War II.
- Researched hundreds of reference photographs and other materials for meticulous accuracy of historical settings.
- Collaborated with a team of two writers and two artists.
- Edited text to be more accessible for the young adult target demographic and to meet the unique needs of a graphic novel format.
- Learned and mastered Clip Studio Paint software to produce the art.
- Acted as animation consultant for a follow-up project by the Seattle Channel TV station to animate one chapter from the book.
Design Principal and Project Architect
McClellan Architects, Seattle, WA
1998 - 2012
- Designed and managed single-family home projects, ranging in budget between $700,000 and $5,000,000.
- Coordinated consultant teams, contractors, and internal design teams to deliver homes within budget and on schedule.
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Audition
- Premiere Pro
- Clip Studio
- Associate Arts Degree
Bellevue College, Bellevue, WA
- Master of Architecture
University of California, Berkeley
- Bachelor of Science
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Member, Board of Directors,
- Improvisational Actor,
Otis Redding Memorial,